Six Things You Should Know About Diabetes
November 9, 2010
Today is D-Blog Day and the topic is “6 things you want people to know about diabetes”.
- There are two types of diabetes. – Type 1 Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes are two very different diseases. Put simply, Type 1s don’t produce insulin and Type 2s produce insulin, but their bodies have become resistant to it. Without wearing an insulin pump or giving myself injections I can not manage my blood glucose levels. No amount of exercise or fancy diets will “cure” Type 1 Diabetes. Period.
- “How is your diabetes doing” is an awful question. – This is a question that I’ve heard from time to time and even my Mom likes to throw this one out there ever so often. Managing Type 1 Diabetes is a constant battle. “How’s it doing?” Well, right now I’m 326, because my site has gone bad and I’m rage bolusing to try to get it down quickly. With any luck I won’t be 57 in a few hours. Ask me again later
- Yes. I can eat that. – There is nothing that I can’t eat! AAAHHHH!!!
- Type 1 Diabetes is on my mind 24/7. – Being T1 means you have to be on top of your management of the disease constantly. At every meal, I have to figure out the amount of carbs and give myself insulin via my insulin pump. Before exercising I have to adjust my basal (background insulin) before hand and have to be very careful with the amount of insulin I have active in my body. I have to plan for exercising many hours in advance. Hold on… I feel weird right now. What’s my BG? 68. Ack, over bolused this morning for breakfast. Time for some fruit snacks. There ya go. This “game” plays out everyday. Type 1 Diabetes never goes away and you can’t hide from it. It is part of my life. Every second of it.
- There are no limitations. – I have to go back to my favorite post that I’ve written. I’m proud of this and if you haven’t read it, please do. Limitations?
- Diabetes apparently affects my ability to count to six. – I’ve had this post up all day and just realized I only had 5 things instead of 6. I blame the 68 from earlier.